Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fasting for the Breach - 17 Tammuz

The walls have been breached. Walls of sanity. And so, on a day I might not ordinarily fast, 17 Tammuz, commemorating the breach of Jerusalem of old, I am fasting. 

I concluded my last post, a few days ago, with a prayer that we shouldn't have to fortify our walls. But so many people suffer, even with fortifications, from breaches of sanity. My reading this morning: Iron Dome in Israel 90% effective at intercepting incoming missiles; girls in Kurdistan invent new and effective bomb detection system; friends and colleagues "pissed," and questioning "why," and wanting to protect not only their children but those of their neighbors and even, yes, the children of those who are inciting the hatred. 

I'm heartbroken. I'm a little lost in all this (why can't we just love?). And the breach of sanity has gotten to me. 

And so I am fasting in mourning for sanity, and in hopes that through this fast, in solidarity with others who are fasting (including Muslims fasting during Ramadan but also in solidarity), perhaps some sanity can be restored. I am fasting as a prayer for my son and the future that will be his. I am fasting as a prayer for our world. 

For more on the fast:

No comments: