Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

To Sing With My Life: Short Thoughts

The Psalmist sang, I will sing to God with my life. My rabbinic classmate and colleague, Rabbi Me'irah Iliinsky, did a beautiful illumination of this verse, which I have framed - and has typically hung next to my rabbinic ordination certificate. I currently have no room for the latter, but have brought the former into my living room space. This morning I was pondering the words.

What does it mean to "sing out to God with my life"?

At first, I thought - well, it has to be a joyous song. I have to live my life in total positivity.

And the words from the Fiddler on the Roof song, To Life, came to me: "God would like us to be thankful even when our hearts lie panting on the floor. How much more could we be thankful when there's really something to be thankful for!"

Be grateful, is the message, no matter what. That's what I hear in the Psalmist's words.

As I think a little deeper, though, I realize that there are a variety of songs that I can sing out with, using my life:

  • I can sing a protest song, actively trying to change the world. This may not be a joyous song - indeed, it might be a song that comes from anger about the brokenness. But it is a strong son.
  • I can sing a punk song, in which I express my dissatisfaction with the behavior of some people in the world.
  • I can sing a dirge, acknowledging the natural course of life as I sit with others at the end of their life, or remember with those who mourn.
  • I can sing a children's rhyme, celebrating curiosity and silliness by playing with my son, with my family, or simply being playful.
I feel freed to sing as I make this beginning to the list of how to sing with my life. Yes, I can sing by being joyful and grateful. And I can sing my values and my hopes. The point is to live those values with passion.

What songs do you sing with your life?

No comments: